A Game of Thrones role playing community and NWN2 persistent world project discussion board.
You are not logged in.
How to Minimize Lag & Maximize Performance
The performance of an NWN2 Persistent World is due to a combination of factors: server design and configuration of the client. Because a player's issues can cause problems for everyone else, it is a good idea for ALL players to try to use the following set of guidelines. This is not all inclusive, as certain situations can require specific solutions, but the following is an overall list every player can follow to ensure that the incidents of lag and crashing are minimized.
Sorry. You have to be registered to access this content.. This fixes a lot of bugs, transition crashes, and network performance issues that exist in NWN2. It also fixes the character "gliding" problem where characters move across the screen but don't move their legs (animate).
* If the NWN2 client extender is not installed on your PC, avoid using the WASD keys or other keys to move your character. Only use your mouse. There are known issues with keys that cause instability on persistent worlds.
* If an area is already crowded with 15 or more players, gather your friends and move to a different area. The load for the server, and thus the chances for lag, increase exponentially with the number of players in the same area.
Lower Your Settings
The following is necessary to varying degrees based on system specification, but lowering client settings is essential for low end systems and laptops.
* Turn Shadows OFF
* Turn Bloom effects OFF
* Turn Render Grass OFF
* Turn Water Refraction OFF
* Turn Water Reflections OFF
* Reduce Draw Distance from 300 to 200
* Full Screen Mode ON
* Set all of the following to 1024 in your ini files: HiRezShadowMapSize, LowRezShadowMapSize, CharacterAndPointLightShadowMapSize
* Restart your computer before you play. If your computer has been running for the whole day, re-boot it before playing NWN2 to refresh the OS. If you are an advanced user you may even want to setup a separate local account that is only used to play NWN2. Tweak it so it doesn't load any other background applications except for the basic OS processes. This gives NWN2 the best possible performance footprint on your computer.
* Sufficient RAM, 2GB recommended.
* Defrag your hard drive regularly.
* Run a full system anti-virus scan at least once a week. Schedule scans outside of the times you play.
* Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date and is configured to check for malware and rootkits as well. Malware and other nasties will steal precious system resources and/or restrict your internet traffic.
* Set your Windows XP page file to 4092 for both initial and maximum size (Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change). Advanced users may even want to put the page file on its own partition.
* Do not use or browse the Internet while playing. File downloads and websites with ads may increase the latency of your connection between the client and the server, causing lag. Draining your own bandwidth with things like peer-to-peer downloads or streaming video/audio will cause severe lag not only for yourself but for everyone on the server!
* Stop all unnecessary processes (like iTunes, Quicktime, Realplayer, etc) that may be running in the background. These consumer your available bandwidth and cause lag.
Sorry. You have to be registered to access this content.. If your system has 1GB RAM or more, open up you nwn.ini file in the "My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2" folder and set "SEFCacheSize=" to 50.
For more information on tweaking your system, see
Sorry. You have to be registered to access this content.and
Sorry. You have to be registered to access this content.
Beta Is Coming
Powered by Agora
© Copyright 2007 - 2008 Joomla Me!. All rights reserved.
[ Generated in 0.089 seconds, 20 queries executed ]